The integrated PhD graduate program will start 1st of July, 2018.
The main focus of the Collaborative Research Center (CRC) 1123 Atherosclerosis – Mechanisms and Networks of Novel Therapeutic Targets is to study in-depth the molecular networks in atherogenesis, atheroprogression and atherothrombosis as the pathological sequence underlying coronary artery disease, in order to identify and verify novel targets for treating atherosclerosis. With this aim in mind, our CRC brings together researchers of different disciplines, institutions and universities in Munich.
Well-trained, talented and highly motivated doctoral researchers are instrumental to carry out the interdisciplinary research within this CRC, and for its success. Doctoral researchers enrolled in our IRTG program will be offered a three-year structured PhD program, allowing the students to collect the necessary European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) points to obtain their PhD in Medical Research. MD students are welcome to join the study program for the duration of their medical thesis research project in the lab.
As main research focus for doctoral candidates, as well as MDs, the SFB1123 offers a large array of projects within different scientific landscapes, which can be found under “Research Areas”.
The fundamental goal of our qualification program is to provide training specifically tailored to the needs and topic of our CRC. The training program consists of:
• Basic principle seminars focusing on atherosclerosis and related innate and adaptive immunity
• Advanced methodological courses with an emphasis on in vivo assays, animal models and state-of-the-art imaging tools
• Soft skills seminars on communication, presentation and other topics equally relevant for a scientific, as well as a non-scientific, successful career
• Scientific education provided by lecture series (by national and international renowned speakers in the field), annual retreats, workshops and international summer school
Please refer to the section “Curriculum” for more details.
To every PhD student a thesis advisory committee is assigned, which supervises the scientific work, its feasibility and milestones as well as advises the student in his/hers career planning and scientific network.
Doctoral Program and Degrees
As part of the IRTG1123 students will obtain a doctoral degree according to the guidelines from the Munich Medical Research School at the LMU’s Medical Faculty. Depending on the students and supervisor’s academic backgrounds, one of the following degrees can be obtained:
• Ph.D. (doctoral degree in Medical Research)
• Dr. rer. nat. (doctoral degree in Natural Sciences)
• Dr. hum. bio. (doctoral degree in Human Biology)
• Dr. med. (doctoral degree in Human Medicine)
29.07.2019 17:00 – 18:00
Neutrophils in atherosclerosis: from physiology to intervention more
22.07.2019 17:00 – 18:00
Neuroendocrine Control of metabolism and its relation to athero more
15.07.2019 17:00 – 18:00
Genome wide association studies in CVD more