Insufficient participation by women compromises efficiency and excellence in academia. A successful strategy for gender equality delivers significant added value. Gender equality enhances research quality because it enlarges the talent pool and promotes a diversity of research perspectives.
Within CRC 1123, only ~20% of all Principal Investigators are female. In order to promote gender equality, this CRC will concretize and implement Research-oriented Standards on Gender Equality. Specific measures will include mentoring programs, child-care support and promotion of excellent female scientists.
Specific measures for gender equality
- We will promote the participation of CRC members in LMU and other seminars (e.g. LMU-Mentoring, LMU-EXTRA) and provide financial support if required
- Mentoring of successful recruitment strategies and career choices for female scientists
- Young researcher parents will receive financial support to cover child-care expenses (e.g. outside the regular opening hours of local day care centers and due to project-related reasons)
- Compensation for absence or reduced hours due to child-care by student helpers
- CRC career program, 1-2 day course with female speakers
- KidsBox –emergency (bed, diapers, toys) if child-care is absolutely unavailable