Applicants are invited to look through the different projects that are enrolled in the consortia SFB1123 and to name, in their application, the projects which they would like to be their research focus.
Formal requirements for doctoral students
1. University degree
Applicants for the PhD program are required to hold a German university Diploma, a Master’s degree, Staatsexamen or equivalent in Medicine- or Natural Sciences-related field. If the applicant received the degree from a university outside Germany, this has to be equivalent to the respective German degree. In this case, please check eligibility with the Doctoral Office at Munich Medical Research School (MMRS).
If the applicant is presenting degrees from outside Germany, or not an English-speaking country, the degree has to be translated to German or English.
The Master (or equivalent) program needs to be completed before the starting of the IRTG1123 program.
All degrees have to be approved by the admissions and registration office at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität. For applicants outside EU-countries a GRE subject test is recommended. For applicants originating from India GATE is an alternative to GRE.
2. Language skills
All events of the IRTG1123/CRC1123 are conducted in English. Applicants are required to fully understand and fluently communicate in written as well as spoken English. Requirements are:
• EU level of B2, OR
• IELTS score between 5.0 and 6.5, OR
• TOEFL score between 87 and 109.
English native speakers or those who have completed a degree in English are not required to submit this confirmation.
3. Documents required for the application
• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• Motivation letter
• Transcript (record of study) and degree certificate of Master Degree, Diplom, Staatsexamen or equivalent degree (when applicable, in German or English). If at the time of application the degree is not completed, please provide temporary transcripts.
• Two letters of recommendation (German or English)
• High school degree transcripts or University entry qualifications (German or English)
• Certificate of proficiency in English (applicable to non-English native speakers, or applicants whose education was not in English)
• Certificates of scholarships, prizes and awards (when applicable)
• GRE subject test (to applicants from a non-EU country)
• GATE scores (to applicants from India)
Applications can be sent to:
Only complete applications with a single merged PDF document will be considered. Applications will be reviewed independently by members of different Institutes participating in SFB1123. Selection will be based on academic qualification, letters of recommendation, research experience and motivation.